Why is home improvement lead generation so hard?
If you're struggling, you aren't alone
Are you tired of struggling to attract new customers to your home improvement business?
Do you feel like you've tried every marketing tactic under the sun, but you're still not seeing the results you want?
Without a reliable way to attract new customers, you can be left fighting against other local businesses over price sensitive customers or relying on overpriced lead buying services where it’s a race to the bottom when it comes to pricing the job in the hope of simply winning some work.
If this sounds familiar, you're not alone.
Many home improvement business owners struggle to generate a consistent flow of new leads and customers, which can make it difficult to grow their business and increase revenue.
Common home improvement marketing challenges
Home improvement businesses face several challenges with their marketing efforts. Here are some of the biggest challenges:
- Competition: The home improvement industry is highly competitive, with many businesses competing for the same customers. This can make it difficult for businesses to stand out and differentiate themselves from their competitors.
- Seasonal demand: The demand for home improvement services can vary depending on the season, with some seasons being busier than others. This can make it difficult for businesses to maintain a consistent level of business throughout the year.
- Changing customer preferences: Homeowners' preferences for home improvement projects can change over time, which can make it challenging for businesses to keep up with these changing trends and offer services that meet customer needs.
- High cost of marketing: Marketing can be expensive, and home improvement businesses often need to invest a significant amount of money to reach their target audience effectively. This can be challenging for smaller businesses with limited marketing budgets.
- Limited marketing expertise: Many home improvement businesses are run by people with expertise in construction or home renovation, rather than marketing. This can make it challenging for these businesses to develop and execute effective marketing strategies.
- Difficulty measuring ROI: Measuring the return on investment (ROI) for marketing campaigns can be challenging, especially for businesses that rely on a mix of online and offline marketing channels.
These challenges make it important for home improvement businesses to develop a comprehensive and effective marketing strategy that takes into account their target audience, business goals, and available resources.
A proven plan for getting more leads
But there's good news! There are proven strategies and techniques that can help you create a steady stream of new customer leads for your home improvement business.
And not just any leads - these are leads that have selected you and want to work with you, they’re your ideal customers based in the locations you want to serve and looking for the services you want to focus on providing.
In this article, we'll share the 9 steps any home improvement business can follow to attract and convert more of these ideal customers, and ultimately, grow their business in a profitable way.
Whether you're a seasoned business owner or just starting out, this article will provide you with a roadmap for creating a successful lead generation strategy that will help you attract more of your ideal customers.
From understanding your target audience and building a strong online presence, to creating compelling content and optimizing your website for lead generation, we'll cover everything you need to know to create a flow of new customer leads for your home improvement business.
By the end of this article, you'll have a clear understanding of the steps you need to take to generate more leads and grow your home improvement business.
So, let's dive in and get started!
Introducing "The Home Improvement Marketing Blueprint"
Follow 9 proven steps to attract more customers online
Through working with over 100 businesses across the last decade, we've figured out what it takes to generate leads and successfully market a home improvement business online so that it helps the business grow in a profitable way.
Here are the 9 marketing components you need in your business to build your own lead generation system and finally escape the trap of paying for overpriced leads or fighting over price-sensitive, poor-quality customers:
- Marketing Message
- Effective Website
- Analytics Tool
- Google Business Profile
- Local SEO
- Google Ads
- Automated Email Marketing
- Social Proof
- Marketing Dashboard
With these 9 components, you will be able to create a constant flow of new customer enquiries that are high quality, high profit, and more likely to refer you to their family and friends.
Let's take a closer look at each of the 9 steps.
Step 1: Create a marketing message that sells
Why your home improvement business needs a clear brand message
Having a clear brand message is important for home improvement companies for several reasons.
- Differentiation: In a competitive market, a clear brand message can help a home improvement company differentiate itself from its competitors. By highlighting its unique value proposition, a company can stand out in the minds of potential customers and build a stronger brand identity.
- Trust and credibility: A clear brand message can help build trust and credibility with potential customers. By communicating its expertise, experience, and commitment to quality, a company can instill confidence in potential customers and establish itself as a trusted provider of home improvement services.
- Consistency: A clear brand message can help ensure consistency across all marketing channels. By using the same language, imagery, and branding across all touchpoints, a company can create a cohesive and memorable brand identity.
- Connection: A clear brand message can help a company connect with potential customers on an emotional level. By highlighting the benefits of its services and demonstrating an understanding of its customers' pain points and needs, a company can create a sense of empathy and build a deeper connection with potential customers.
- Growth: A clear brand message can help a company attract new customers and grow its business. By communicating its value proposition effectively, a company can generate more leads and convert more of those leads into paying customers.
A clear brand message is essential for home improvement companies that want to build a strong brand identity, differentiate themselves from competitors, establish trust and credibility with potential customers, and grow their business.
How to write a brand message to use in your marketing
Here are some things to keep in mind when writing your brand message.
- Identify your customer's pain points: Start by identifying the problems your customers face when it comes to home improvement. This could be anything from lack of time to lack of expertise or resources.
- Position your company as a trusted partner: As a home improvement company, position your brand as a guide who can help customers solve their problems. Highlight the benefits of working with your company, such as your expertise, experience, and commitment to quality.
- Tell them how to get started: To create a clear and concise message that speaks directly to your customer's pain points you need to make sure you tell them what it will be like to work with you and how to get started. Use simple language and avoid industry jargon. Your message should be easy to understand and resonate with your target audience.
- Make your message visible: Once you have a clear brand message, make sure it's visible across all your marketing channels. This could include your website, social media, email marketing, and advertising. Use images and video to reinforce your message and make it more engaging.
- Build a consistent brand identity: Use consistent branding across all your marketing channels to build a strong brand identity. This includes using a consistent logo, color scheme, and typography. Make sure your brand identity is recognizable and memorable.
- Monitor and adjust: Monitor the effectiveness of your brand message over time and adjust it as needed. Use customer feedback and analytics to track the impact of your brand message and make changes to improve its effectiveness.
Remember, the key to creating an effective marketing message is to keep your customer's needs and pain points at the forefront of your message.
By positioning your company as the trusted partner who can help customers solve their problems, you can create a powerful and compelling brand message that resonates with your target audience.
Step 2: Build a website that converts customers
Home improvement website checklist
When building a website for your home improvement company, here are some key priorities to consider:
- User experience: It's crucial to make the website user-friendly, easy to navigate, and visually appealing. This can be achieved by using clear and concise language, high-quality images and videos, and intuitive navigation menus.
- Mobile responsiveness: With more and more people accessing the internet on their mobile devices, it's essential that the website is optimized for mobile screens. A mobile-friendly website will ensure that users can easily access information, regardless of the device they're using.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO): A well-optimized website can help the company rank higher in search engine results, making it more visible to potential customers. This can be achieved by using relevant keywords, optimising images and videos, and ensuring the website is structured in a way that search engines can easily crawl. Use the free Google Lighthouse tool to check how well optimised it is.
- Call-to-actions (CTAs): The website should have clear and prominent CTAs that encourage users to take action, such as requesting a quote or contacting the company for more information.
- Testimonials and reviews: Including testimonials and reviews from previous customers can help build trust and credibility with potential customers.
- Services and products: The website should provide detailed information about the company's services and products, including pricing, benefits, and specifications.
- Service area and locations: Customers are often looking for home improvement companies that are based locally to them in their town, city or county, so make sure you clearly state where you business is located and the geographical areas you operate in.
- Contact information: It's essential to make it easy for potential customers to get in touch with the company. This can be achieved by including a clear and prominent contact form, phone number, and email address on the website.
By prioritising these elements, your home improvement company can create a website that is user-friendly, optimised for search engines, and encourages potential customers to take action.
Assess how well your existing website is working
Here are three exercises you can use to understand how your current website is working and to come up with ideas for redesigning your website.
Exercise 1: User Feedback
In this exercise, the business solicits feedback from current and potential customers about the current website, including what they like, what they don't like, and what changes they would like to see.
The business can use this feedback to identify pain points, areas of confusion, and opportunities for improvement.
Exercise 2: Competitor Analysis
In this exercise, the business conducts a thorough analysis of its competitors' websites, including what works well, what doesn't work well, and what sets each website apart.
The business can use this analysis to identify best practices, areas where it can differentiate itself, and new ideas to try.
Exercise 3: Website Audit
In this exercise, the business conducts a comprehensive audit of its own website, including the design, content, and functionality.
The business can use this audit to identify areas that need improvement, such as slow load times, broken links, or outdated content. This exercise can also help the business identify what is working well and should be retained.
By conducting these exercises, you can gather valuable information about your current website, your competitors' websites, and your customers' needs and preferences.
This information can help you generate new ideas for redesigning the website, improving the user experience, and ultimately driving more leads and sales.
Choosing a home improvement web design agency
If you decide to redesign your website and you are looking for agencies or web designers to help you, here are some questions you can ask to make sure you are choosing a suitable partner for the project.
"Can you show me examples of websites you've designed for other home improvement businesses?"
This will give the business a sense of the design style and quality of the company's work, and help determine if they are a good fit for the business.
"What is your process for designing a website?"
Understanding the design company's process will help the business understand how the project will be managed, what milestones to expect, and what their involvement will be throughout the process.
"What is your experience with search engine optimization (SEO)?"
SEO is an important aspect of website design, so it's important to choose a company that has experience and knowledge in this area. The business should ask about their SEO techniques and how they can help improve the visibility of the business's website.
"What is your pricing structure?"
Understanding the pricing structure will help the business determine if the company's services fit within their budget. They should also ask about any additional fees or costs that may be incurred during the project.
"What is your timeline for completing a website design project?"
The timeline is important for planning and coordinating with the business's other marketing efforts. The business should ensure that the design company's timeline aligns with their own deadlines and objectives.
"What type of ongoing support do you offer after the website is launched?"
After the website is launched, the business may need ongoing support and maintenance. The business should ask about the design company's support options, including any ongoing maintenance plans or additional services that may be required.
By asking these questions, a home improvement business can ensure that they are choosing a website design company that understands their needs and can deliver a high-quality website that meets their objectives.
Step 3: Monitor how well your marketing works
Why home improvement companies need Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that can help a home improvement business with online marketing in several ways:
- Track website traffic: Google Analytics provides detailed information on how many people are visiting the business's website, where they are coming from, and what pages they are visiting. This data can help the business understand which marketing channels are driving the most traffic to their website, and which pages are most popular among their visitors.
- Monitor website performance: Google Analytics can help the business track key performance metrics such as bounce rate, session duration, and conversion rate. By analyzing this data, the business can identify areas of their website that need improvement and make changes to improve the user experience and increase conversion rates.
- Identify target audiences: Google Analytics can provide valuable insights into the demographics and interests of the business's website visitors. This information can help the business create more targeted marketing campaigns that are tailored to the interests and preferences of their target audience.
- Measure marketing campaigns: Google Analytics can track the performance of the business's online marketing campaigns, including PPC campaigns, email marketing, and social media advertising. This allows the business to see which campaigns are driving the most traffic and conversions, and adjust their strategy accordingly.
- Set and track goals: Google Analytics allows the business to set and track goals for their website, such as newsletter signups or product purchases. By monitoring progress towards these goals, the business can identify areas of their website that need improvement and make changes to increase conversion rates.
Google Analytics can provide valuable insights into website performance, target audience, and marketing campaigns. By leveraging this data, a home improvement business can optimize their online marketing efforts and drive more leads and sales.
How to set up Google Analytics
Here’s the quickest way to get started with Google Analytics:
- Sign up for a Google Analytics account: If the business doesn't already have a Google Analytics account, they will need to sign up for one by going to the Google Analytics website and clicking "Start for free".
- Set up a new property: Once the account is set up, the business will need to create a new property for their website. This involves entering their website URL and some basic information about the business.
- Add the tracking code to the website: After the property is created, the business will need to add the Google Analytics tracking code to their website. This code allows Google Analytics to collect data on website visitors.
- Wait for data to populate: It may take several hours or days for Google Analytics to start collecting data on website visitors. During this time, the business should continue to promote their website and monitor their website traffic.
- Explore the Google Analytics dashboard: Once data is being collected, the business can log in to their Google Analytics account and explore the dashboard. The dashboard provides an overview of website traffic, including the number of visitors, their demographics, and their behavior on the website.
While these steps are relatively simple, it may take some time for the business to fully understand and utilize all the features of Google Analytics. However, getting started with these basic steps is the quickest way to start tracking website traffic and gaining insights into website performance.
Why you need to track your phone calls
Another type of measure that is incredibly important for home improvement businesses to use is phone call tracking. Call tracking is important for a home improvement business to use in their marketing for several reasons:
- Measure marketing performance: Call tracking allows the business to track which marketing campaigns are driving phone calls to their business. This data can help the business understand which marketing channels are most effective, and adjust their strategy accordingly.
- Understand customer behavior: By recording and analyzing phone calls, the business can gain insights into the needs, preferences, and pain points of their customers. This information can help the business tailor their marketing and sales strategies to better meet the needs of their target audience.
- Improve customer service: Call tracking can help the business monitor the quality of their customer service and identify areas that need improvement. By analyzing phone calls, the business can identify common issues and address them to improve customer satisfaction.
- Increase conversions: By tracking phone calls, the business can identify missed opportunities and follow up with leads that didn't convert. This can help the business increase their conversion rate and generate more revenue.
- Calculate return on investment: By tracking the number of phone calls generated by each marketing campaign, the business can calculate the return on investment (ROI) for each campaign. This data can help the business make informed decisions about where to allocate their marketing budget.
Call tracking is an essential tool for home improvement businesses to use in their marketing.
By tracking phone calls, your business can gain new insights into your marketing performance, customer behavior, and customer service, and use this information to increase conversions and generate more revenue.
Step 4: Harness the power of Google Business Profile
How to use Google Business Profile to find more customers
Google Business Profile (previously called Google My Business or GMB) is a free online tool provided by Google that allows businesses to manage their online presence across Google's search engine and map services.
Here are some ways in which GBP (Google Business Profile) can help a home improvement business find more customers online:
- Improve online visibility: GMB helps the business appear on Google Maps and local search results, which can increase visibility and help potential customers find the business more easily.
- Provide important business information: GMB allows the business to provide important information about their business, such as their hours of operation, contact information, and website URL. This information can help potential customers learn more about the business and decide whether to contact them.
- Collect customer reviews: GMB allows customers to leave reviews about the business, which can help build trust and credibility. Positive reviews can also help the business stand out from competitors in local search results.
- Engage with customers: GMB allows the business to respond to customer reviews and questions, which can help build relationships and improve customer satisfaction.
- Analyze customer insights: GMB provides analytics and insights about how customers are interacting with the business on Google, including how they found the business and what actions they took (such as visiting the website or requesting directions). This data can help the business make informed decisions about their marketing strategy.
Google Business Profile can help a home improvement business find more customers by improving online visibility, providing important business information, collecting customer reviews, engaging with customers, and analyzing customer insights.
It is an essential tool for any business that wants to improve their online presence and attract more customers.
How to set up Google Business Profile
Here’s the quickest way to get started with Google Business Profile:
- Go to the Google Business Profile website (https://www.google.com/business/) and click the "Manage now" button.
- Sign in to your Google account or create a new one if you don't have one already.
- Enter the name of your business and select the category that best describes your business.
- Enter your business address or service area. If you have a physical storefront, you can enter your address. If you offer services at customer locations, you can enter a service area.
- Enter your business phone number and website URL.
- Verify your business by phone or mail. Google will send you a verification code by phone or mail to confirm that you are the owner of the business.
- Once you've verified your business, you can add additional information, such as photos, business hours, and a description of your business.
- Monitor your Google Business Profile account regularly to respond to customer reviews, update your information, and track your performance.
Getting started with Google Business Profile is quick and easy. By following these steps, you can create a free listing for your business and improve your online visibility in local search results.
How to optimise your Google Business Profile
Once your Google Business Profile is set up and live, home improvement businesses can use a handful of tactics to optimise their listing to secure a higher position in the results and increase their visibility on Google.
- Complete your profile: Make sure you fill out all the information about your business, including your address, phone number, website URL, hours of operation, and a description of your business. This will help customers find and learn more about your business.
- Use keywords: Use relevant keywords in your business name, description, and category to help customers find your business when they search for specific terms.
- Add photos: Upload high-quality photos of your business, including your logo, products, and services. This will help customers get a better sense of your business and make it more appealing.
- Collect customer reviews: Encourage your customers to leave reviews on your Google My Business listing. Positive reviews can help build trust and credibility and attract more customers.
- Post updates: Use the "Posts" feature to share updates about your business, such as special offers, events, and new products or services. This can help keep your customers engaged and attract new customers.
- Monitor your listing: Regularly check your Google My Business listing to respond to customer reviews, update your information, and track your performance. This will help you make informed decisions about your marketing strategy and improve your online presence.
By following these tips, you can optimise your Google Business Profile listing and attract more customers to your home improvement business.
Step 5: Dominate Google search results with local SEO
Benefits of local SEO for home improvement businesses
A home improvement business should use local SEO because it can help them reach more local customers and increase their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs). Here are some reasons why local SEO is important for home improvement businesses:
By optimizing your website and online listings for local search terms, you can attract more targeted traffic from customers in your local area who are looking for home improvement services.
Local SEO can help you rank higher in Google's local pack and on Google Maps, making it easier for customers to find your business when searching for local home improvement services.
If your home improvement business is optimized for local SEO, you can gain an advantage over your competitors who may not be using local SEO strategies.
Higher conversion rates
Local SEO can lead to higher conversion rates because customers are more likely to choose a local business that they can easily find online.
Local SEO is a cost-effective way to market your home improvement business, as it can be more affordable than traditional advertising methods like print ads or radio spots.
Local SEO can be an effective way for home improvement businesses to reach more local customers, increase their visibility online, gain a competitive advantage, and ultimately grow their business.
Top 5 SEO optimisations for home improvement companies
- Claim your Google Business Profile (previously Google My Business): This is one of the most important steps in local SEO. Claiming and verifying your Google Business Profile listing allows you to manage your business information and appear in Google Maps and the local pack. Be sure to include accurate and up-to-date information such as your business name, address, phone number, website, hours of operation, and photos.
- Optimize your website for local search terms: Make sure your website includes relevant keywords related to your home improvement business and your local area. This can help your website rank higher in local search results. Use your location in your website's content, titles, headings, and meta descriptions.
- Build local citations: Citations are mentions of your business's name, address, and phone number (NAP) on other websites. Having consistent and accurate NAP information across multiple online directories and review sites can help improve your local SEO. Some popular directories for home improvement businesses include Yell and Houzz.
- Encourage customer reviews: Positive customer reviews can help improve your local SEO and attract more customers. Encourage your satisfied customers to leave reviews on your Google Business Profile listing and other review sites. Responding to reviews, both positive and negative, can also help show that you value customer feedback.
- Use local structured data markup: Adding structured data markup to your website can help search engines understand the content on your site and improve your chances of appearing in local search results. Use schema markup to highlight your business information, such as your address, phone number, and hours of operation.
By implementing these local SEO strategies, you can improve your online visibility, attract more local customers, and ultimately grow your home improvement business.
How to carry out local SEO research
Here are three exercises that you can use to start working on improving your local SEO.
Conduct keyword research
Conducting keyword research can help you identify relevant search terms that potential customers in your local area might be using to find home improvement services.
Use tools like Google's Keyword Planner or Moz's Keyword Explorer to identify popular search terms related to your business and location.
Check your current rankings
Once you know what keywords and locations you want to rank for on the Google search results, do some test searches on Google to find out how your business is currently appearing online.
This way, you can see if your website appears in the free results, if you appear in any citation results, or if you Google map listing is appearing in the map pack.
Check your NAP consistency
NAP consistency is important for local SEO, as search engines use this information to verify your business's location. Check your business's name, address, and phone number (NAP) across all online directories and review sites.
Make sure that your NAP information is accurate and consistent, and update any incorrect or outdated information. Tools like Moz Local or Yext can help you manage your NAP consistency across multiple directories.
Step 6: Find the best customers with Google Ads
Does Google Ads work for home improvement?
Google Ads is one of the most popular marketing channels for home improvement companies for several great reasons:
- Highly targeted advertising: Google Ads allows home improvement companies to target their ads to specific geographic locations, interests, and search terms. This means that your ads will be seen by people who are already searching for home improvement services in your area, making it more likely that they will click on your ad and become a customer.
- Cost-effective: Google Ads uses a pay-per-click (PPC) model, which means that you only pay when someone clicks on your ad. This makes it a cost-effective way to advertise your home improvement business, as you are only paying for results.
- Measurable results: Google Ads provides detailed analytics and reporting, so you can track the performance of your ads and see which keywords, ads, and campaigns are generating the most clicks and conversions. This allows you to refine your advertising strategy and optimize your ads for better performance.
- Extremely flexible: Google Ads allows you to set your own budget, schedule your ads to run at specific times, and create different ad formats, such as text ads, display ads, and video ads. This gives home improvement companies the flexibility to tailor their advertising strategy to their specific needs and goals.
Google Ads is a great option for home improvement companies because it allows them to target their ads to specific audiences, track their results, and optimise their advertising strategy for better long-term performance.
Should you hire a Google Ads agency?
Some business owners like to run their Google Ads campaigns themselves, and others outsource to an agency to manage it for them. Each approach has pros and cons, here are some of the most important ones to think about.
The pros of doing Google Ads yourself:
- Cost: Building your own Google Ads campaign can save you money since you won't be paying agency fees.
- Control: You will have complete control over your campaign, including ad copy, targeting, and budget.
- Flexibility: You can make changes to your campaign quickly and easily to adjust to market conditions or changes in your business.
The cons of doing Google Ads yourself:
- Lack of expertise: If you're not familiar with Google Ads, you may not be able to build an effective campaign that delivers results.
- Time-consuming: Building a successful Google Ads campaign requires a significant amount of time and effort to research keywords, create ad copy, and monitor performance.
- Risk of wasted ad spend: If you don't know how to properly target your ads or optimize your campaign, you could end up wasting your ad spend on clicks that don't result in conversions.
- Limited resources: As a small business owner, you may not have the resources to devote to building and managing a successful Google Ads campaign on your own.
How to choose the right Google Ads agency
If you opt for getting help with your Google Ads campaign, here are some questions to ask your PPC agency or Google Ads manager before starting work together.
"What experience does the agency have with Google Ads and specifically, in the home improvement industry?"
Look for an agency that has experience working with similar companies and industries to ensure they have the relevant knowledge and expertise.
"How will the agency develop and execute our Google Ads strategy?"
The agency should be able to provide a clear plan for developing and executing a customized strategy based on your business goals, target audience, and budget.
"How will the agency measure and report on the performance of our Google Ads campaigns?"
The agency should be able to provide regular performance reports and analytics that track the success of your campaigns and provide insights on how to optimize them.
"What is the agency's approach to keyword research and optimization?"
The agency should have a clear methodology for identifying and targeting relevant keywords that will attract qualified leads and optimize your campaigns for maximum ROI.
"What is the agency's pricing structure and how do they manage budgets?"
Make sure you understand how the agency charges for their services and how they allocate your budget across campaigns, ad groups, and keywords to ensure that your ads are reaching the right audience and generating results.
3 ways to optimise a home improvement Google Ads campaign
If you are already running your own Google Ads campaigns and don’t want to use an agency to help improve performance, here are 3 top tips to help you get better results:
- Set up conversion tracking: Make sure your account is connected to Google Analytics and is using one of the various conversion tracking methods available. By tracking conversions you can clearly see what’s working and what isn’t so you know you are getting a positive return on your investment.
- Apply smart bidding: If you have conversion tracking set up and your have plenty of conversion data in your account, you might be able to get better value for money by switching to one of Google’s smart bidding strategies like Target CPA.
- Test different ad copy: Google does a great job of figuring out what combinations of your ads and keywords work best together, but you can still improve results by testing different wording in your ads. For example, if you are running offers, promotions or incentives, these can all make great headlines in your ads.
Step 7: Turn leads into customers with email marketing
Benefits of email marketing for home improvement businesses
A home improvement company can use automated email marketing to achieve a variety of goals, including:
- Lead generation: An automated email marketing campaign can be used to nurture leads and encourage them to take the next step, whether that's booking a consultation or requesting a quote.
- Upselling and cross-selling: By sending targeted emails to existing customers, a home improvement company can promote related products and services, or offer upgrades or add-ons to current projects.
- Customer engagement: Regularly scheduled emails can keep customers engaged with the company and its brand, and can also help to build loyalty over time.
- Feedback and reviews: Automated email campaigns can also be used to solicit feedback and encourage customers to leave reviews on third-party review sites, which can help to build the company's online reputation and attract new customers.
Email marketing works best when you have a clear strategy in place, including specific goals for the emails you are going to send. This might include doing things like segmenting your email list based on factors like customer type, project size, or geographic location, and personalising emails to maximise engagement and conversions.
Finally, you should monitor email performance closely and adjust your strategy as needed based on the results you see, such as which emails get opened most regularly, what sort of subject lines get the best response, and which links get the most clicks.
How to get more email subscribers
Before you start using email marketing, you need a way of capturing the email addresses of potential customers who visit your website.
A lead magnet is a valuable offer that a business provides to its potential customers in exchange for their contact information. Here are some of the benefits of using a lead magnet to market a home improvement business:
A well-designed lead magnet can attract potential customers and encourage them to share their contact information with a home improvement business, which can help to grow the company's email list and lead database.
By offering valuable information or resources upfront, a home improvement business can establish itself as a trusted authority in its field, which can help to build credibility and trust with potential customers.
Targets specific audiences
A lead magnet can be designed to appeal to a specific audience or customer segment, allowing a home improvement business to attract leads that are more likely to be interested in its services.
Provides data insights
By tracking the performance of different lead magnets, a home improvement business can gain valuable insights into what types of offers or resources are most effective at generating leads and engaging potential customers.
Compared to other marketing tactics, creating a lead magnet can be a relatively low-cost way to attract new leads and build a customer base.
Combining a lead magnet with an automated email campaign as part of a home improvement business's marketing strategy can be a powerful tool for generating leads, building trust, and establishing the business as a leader in the local marketplace.
Home improvement lead magnet ideas
Home improvement businesses often use lead magnets that provide value and help solve common problems that their potential customers may face. Here are some examples:
Home improvement businesses can create step-by-step guides that explain how to tackle common home improvement projects such as painting a room or installing a backsplash. These guides can be offered in exchange for contact information such as an email address.
A home improvement business could create a checklist for homeowners to use when preparing for a renovation or remodeling project. This checklist could cover everything from selecting materials to finding a contractor, and could be offered as a free download in exchange for contact information.
Many homeowners are looking for inspiration when it comes to home design. Home improvement businesses can create lead magnets such as mood boards, design inspiration galleries, or virtual room simulations to help potential customers get a better sense of what they want and how to achieve it.
Home improvement businesses can offer educational content such as webinars or video tutorials on specific topics related to home improvement. These could be offered for free in exchange for contact information and could cover topics such as how to choose the right flooring or how to save money on a kitchen remodel.
The goal of a lead magnet is to offer something of value to potential customers in exchange for their contact information.
By doing so, home improvement businesses can build a list of leads that they can nurture over time, and ultimately convert into paying customers.
Step 8: Turn existing customers into sales reps
Use customer reviews and testimonials to generate more leads
Customer reviews are incredibly important for home improvement businesses, as they can have a significant impact on a business's reputation and ability to attract new customers. Here are a few reasons why customer reviews are so important:
- Social proof: In today's digital age, customers are more likely to research a business online before making a purchase or hiring a contractor. Positive customer reviews can serve as social proof that a business is reputable and trustworthy.
- Trust: Customers are more likely to trust the opinions of other customers than they are to trust a business's marketing messages. By showcasing positive reviews, home improvement businesses can build trust with potential customers and increase the likelihood that they will choose to work with them.
- SEO: Customer reviews can also improve a business's search engine optimization (SEO) efforts. Reviews can help to increase the amount of content on a business's website, which can help to improve its search engine rankings.
- Feedback: Customer reviews can provide valuable feedback to home improvement businesses. Negative reviews can highlight areas where a business needs to improve, while positive reviews can help to reinforce what the business is doing well.
Customer reviews are a powerful tool for home improvement businesses looking to build their reputation and attract new customers.
By providing exceptional service and encouraging customers to leave reviews, home improvement businesses can improve their online presence and differentiate themselves from their competitors.
How to get more Google reviews
Here are some tips to help you collect more customer reviews on Google.
- Make it easy: Make it as easy as possible for customers to leave a review by providing a direct link to your Google My Business profile. You can also provide step-by-step instructions on how to leave a review on Google.
- Ask for reviews: Don't be afraid to ask customers for reviews. You can ask in person, through email, or by including a call-to-action in your follow-up communications.
- Timing is everything: The best time to ask for a review is when the customer has just had a positive experience with your business. This could be right after completing a project or receiving a product.
- Incentivise reviews: While you can't directly offer incentives for reviews, you can offer incentives for customers who leave reviews in general. For example, you could offer a discount on their next purchase or a free add-on service.
- Respond to reviews: Responding to reviews, both positive and negative, shows that you care about your customers and their feedback. It can also encourage more customers to leave reviews.
- Provide excellent customer service: The best way to get positive reviews is by providing excellent customer service. Make sure your customers are satisfied with their experience and are likely to recommend your business to others.
By implementing these tips, you can encourage more customers to leave reviews on Google, which can help to improve your business's online reputation and attract new customers.
How to get better Google reviews
When asking customers to leave you an online review, it’s important to be specific about what you would like them to write about.
Whilst you can’t ask them to write something untrue or that they don’t agree with, you can encourage them to include certain details that will make your review more helpful to other customers and also improve your SEO.
- Services: Ask them to include the names of the services they provided for you. Instead of “ABC Co. did some work for us” you want them to say “ABC Co. carried out a complete roof replacement on our house”.
- Location: Ask them to also include the location of where the work was carried out. This makes the review more powerful for other people reading it who are based locally to them and supports your SEO. E.g. “ABC Co. carried out a complete roof replacement on our house in [city name]”.
- Names: If they were particularly impressed with the service provided by individual members of your team, ask them to include those team members’ names in the review. E.g. “ABC Co. carried out a complete roof replacement on our house in [city name] and the service provided by [person name] was outstanding”.
- Outcome: Ultimately, no matter the job entailed, the most important part of the review is the outcome that was achieved for the customer and how they feel about it. Ask your customer to provide some detail about how they feel now the project is completed. E.g. “ABC Co. carried out a complete roof replacement on our house in [city name] and the service provided by [person name] was outstanding, we are delighted with the end result and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to our friends!”.
Every time you collect another great review, the final step is to share it. You can include it on your website, turn it into a social media post, add it to your printed collateral like brochures and leaflets, put it in your email signature, and include it in your automated marketing emails.
Step 9: Know the numbers to grow your business
Why your business needs a live marketing dashboard
A digital marketing dashboard can provide a home improvement business with valuable insights into its marketing efforts and help it make data-driven decisions to improve its performance.
Here are some of the benefits of using a digital marketing dashboard for a home improvement business.
- Centralized view: A digital marketing dashboard provides a centralized view of all the key performance indicators (KPIs) for a business's marketing efforts. This can include metrics such as website traffic, leads generated, social media engagement, and email campaign performance.
- Real-time data: A digital marketing dashboard provides real-time data, allowing businesses to monitor their marketing efforts and make adjustments as needed. This can help to ensure that the business is staying on track and meeting its goals.
- Performance tracking: A digital marketing dashboard allows businesses to track the performance of their marketing campaigns over time. This can help them identify trends and make adjustments to their strategies to improve their effectiveness.
- Goal setting: A digital marketing dashboard can help businesses set and track their marketing goals. By setting specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) goals, businesses can ensure that they are working towards specific objectives and measuring their progress along the way.
- Collaboration: A digital marketing dashboard can help to facilitate collaboration between team members and departments. By providing a centralized view of marketing data, team members can work together to identify areas for improvement and develop strategies to achieve their goals.
A digital marketing dashboard can provide a home improvement business with valuable insights into its marketing efforts, help it make data-driven decisions, and improve its performance over time.
What marketing results should you track?
Here are some of the marketing data points you may want to track using your digital marketing dashboard, depending on your business goals.
- Website traffic: The number of visitors to the business's website, the sources of traffic, and the behavior of visitors on the site.
- Lead generation: The number of leads generated through various marketing channels, such as email campaigns, social media, and paid advertising.
- Conversion rates: The percentage of website visitors or leads that convert into paying customers.
- Customer acquisition cost (CAC): The cost of acquiring a new customer through various marketing channels.
- Return on investment (ROI): The return on investment for each marketing channel, campaign, or strategy.
- Email campaign performance: The open rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates for email campaigns.
- Search engine rankings: The business's rankings on search engine results pages for relevant keywords.
- Customer feedback: The number and quality of customer reviews and ratings on various online platforms.
By tracking these marketing metrics on a marketing dashboard, a home improvement business can gain valuable insights into its marketing performance and make data-driven decisions to improve its marketing strategy and achieve its business goals.
Out of all of these, most home improvement business owners need to focus on ROI, or return on investment.
Being able to calculate your ROI means you can have certainty that your marketing activity is actually helping your business grow in a profitable way.
How to calculate marketing ROI
To calculate the return on investment (ROI), you need to compare the total revenue generated from the marketing to the total cost of running the marketing.
- Calculate the total revenue generated: To calculate the revenue generated from the campaign, you need to track the conversions and their associated values. If you are tracking e-commerce transactions, this will be the total revenue from the transactions. If you are tracking leads or other types of conversions, you will need to assign a value to each conversion based on the estimated revenue that the conversion will generate.
- Calculate the total cost of the campaign: To calculate the total cost of the marketing campaign, you need to add up all the costs associated with running the campaign. This includes the cost of the ads themselves, as well as any costs associated with creating the ads, managing the campaign, and tracking the results.
- Subtract the total cost from the total revenue: Once you have the total revenue and total cost, you can subtract the total cost from the total revenue to get the net profit.
- Divide the net profit by the total cost: To calculate the ROI, divide the net profit by the total cost of the campaign and multiply the result by 100 to get a percentage. The formula for calculating ROI is:
ROI = (Net Profit / Total Cost) x 100
For example, if a Google Ads campaign generates £10,000 in revenue and costs £2,000 to run, the net profit is £8,000. The ROI would be calculated as follows:
ROI = (£8,000 / £2,000) x 100 = 400%
This means that for every pound spent on the campaign, the business generated £4 in revenue. This can also be referred to as a 400% return on ad spend (ROAS).
Start building your lead generation system!
Follow these 9-steps and watch your business grow
You now know the nine key components of a profitable and reliable lead generation system that will attract a stream of new customer enquiries for your home improvement business by helping you dominate the local Google search results and turn clicks into clients.
The more of these nine steps you implement in your business, the more effective your lead generation system will be.
Each of the nine parts builds upon and supports the other parts of the system. Simply having two or three parts in place isn't enough to transform your marketing into a growth engine for your business.
We'll build your lead generation system for you!
If you would like to find out more about how we can help you implement the nine steps of the "Home Improvement Marketing Blueprint" and turn your website into a lead-generating machine, book a free discovery call and get your marketing plan today.